Father DeNisco Council No. 3862
Slate Belt Area Knights of Columbus
1680 W. Bangor Rd. * Bangor, Pa. 18013


The Father DeNisco Council was instituted on May 25, 1954. William D. Abert and Harry Kachline from Union Council No. 345 were responsible for most of the early planning. Preliminary meetings were held at Our Lady of Good Council Church Hall, Bangor.
 
        

         
Dr. Leonard Rushin was elected the first Grand Knight and it was under his direction that a committee was chosen to select a name suitable for the Slate Belt Area Knights of Columbus. After several meetings, the Council was named in honor of Father DeNisco. (Father DeNisco was the first pastor of Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church, Roseto and an active leader in the area).

          As time passed meetings were held in the local parish halls, but it was evident that a home was needed to derive the full benefit from the Knights of Columbus program.
.
 
(Seated - left to right) Pasquale Vicario, Carl A.Zegalia, Dr.Anthony Baratta,
Rev. Charles Sweeney, C.M, Matthew Giovannini, Dr. Leonard Rushin,
Albert Hunt  (Standing) Anthony Sabia, Guido Morfesi, Walter Grosskopf,
Albert Paolini, Pat, Tepoli, Michael Goffredo, Ralph Stampone
 

A Charter of Incorporation, through the Northampton County Court House, was granted to Father DeNisco Council No. 3862 Home Association on May 28, 1958. A building fund was established to provide the necessary funds for the future home. On April 23, 1963, the Home Association accepted a contribution of a parcel of land from William P. Doall and on July 3, 1963, ground was broken for the Knights of Columbus on the Roseto - West Bangor Road, under the direction of Anthony Capazzolo, President of the Home Association and Anthony Trigiani, Grand Knight.
 

And so, with the blessing of God in answering our prayers, we were able to dedicate our new Home on October 9, 1966.
The main speaker for the dedication was Dr. John H. Griffin, present Supreme Physician, and Monsignor Agnello J. Angelini
offered the blessing and benediction. Serving the Council as Grand Knight was Domenick C. Falcone.

A shrine to Christ the King was built on the Council grounds, under the direction of Anthony Capozzolo,
to honor all the Catholic Clergy who have served our area. The date for the dedication of the shrine coincided 
with the 25th Anniversary Celebration on May 20, 1979. Every Year in November, on the Feast of Christ the King,  the Council sponsors a procession and benediction in front of the shrine and in the council home.

The Council formed the Father DeNisco Squires Circle in 1982 under the direction of Vincent G. Irwin II. The first chief squire was Russell Buskirk. Squires participate in the council activities and help with the upkeep of the council home and grounds. When they reach 18 years of age, many squires become members of the Knights of Columbus.
 

In 1955, under the direction of Thomas Bavaria and with the help of chaplain Father Robert Swain,
a memorial to all unborn Children who were victims of abortion was erected in front of the council home.

The home has always been an asset to the community in that it is available to the Catholic churches and schools
 of the Slate Belt area for their affairs and also to the public for rentals for weddings and other private affairs.

 

In 2008, the rental hall was dedicated to Anthony Capozzolo for his support to the Knights of Columbus throughout his life. He was instrumental in the construction of the Council Home, lake and Christ the King Shrine.

 

The use of the home was expanded over the years to include all the council and Ladies Auxiliary meetings and activities such as the annual Clergy Night, Dinner Dances, Egg Hunts, the New Year's Eve Party, Social honoring of the Pius X High School football team and coaches, fund-raising spaghetti dinners and breakfasts to benefit charities.

  Area map     City map      Street map    Find directions   Council 3862 Pictures

OFFICERS

Chaplain

Rev. Thomas Prior

Grand Knight /
Youth Director

Thomas J. Miller.

Deputy Grand Knight /
Community Director

William Hutnik

Chancellor /
Program Director

Gregory B. Findon

Recording Secretary /
Church Director

Richard Kindred

Financial Secretary /
Insurance Promotion

John Dunbar

Treasurer

Edward A. Schellhammer

Warden

Eric S. Reichenbach

Advocate

Christopher P. Cotturo

Inside Guard

Joseph I. Saad

Outside Guard

Philip DeRea

Trustee

John F. Page

Trustee

Joseph A. DeFranco

Trustee

Gregory J. Kennedy

District Deputy

Frank Gualano

Vocational Chairman /
Pro-Life Couple

Corey Genteel

Council Director Thomas Miller
Public Relations Jeff Verbin
Columbian Squires Fred Wall
Membership Director /
Retention Chairman
Anthony Barazzuol
Recruitment Committee William Kerler
Recruitment Committee William Hutnik

©Copyright K of C, Council 3862 © 2006-2017 All rights reserved